E-Filing is the method of filing official forms though online. With the advancement of the IT, more and more official websites are changing to user friendly for submitting the official as well as personal details through e filing. The method is simple, reliable and saves time and paper work. Income tax returns filing is one typical example. Tax payment is mandatory for all citizens having a fixed income from various sources. In India, the Income Tax department has e-filing portal to file tax returns. Here explains the method of e filing.
The e-filing portal uses Excel spread sheet to enter the data and computing income tax. So the first task is to enable the Macro settings of the Excel which is usually in the disabled state for security. First of all we have to enable the Macro settings. The steps are…
1. Open the Excel 2007 and click on the MS office Menu Icon (Red, Yellow, Blue, Green combination) preset at the left top corner. A drop down menu will appear.
2. At the bottom, there is Excel options. Click and open the Excel options.
3. At the left side, there are many options. Click on the Trust Centre and open.
4. Click on the Trust centre Settings to open.
5. At the left side, there is Macro settings. Click and open.
6. Click on the Enable all macros …….. and then click OK.
7. Then go back and again open Trust centre. Click on the Trust centre settings
8. At the left side bar, there is Active X settings. Click on it.
9. Click on the Enable all controls without restrictions……… Then click OK.
10. Close Excel and Re open. Then close.
11. Now the Excel 2007 in the Computer is Macro enabled and is ready to open the ITR forms and to upload the same in the portal.
Note : Without enabling the Macro settings, e- filing is not possible.
Majority of Employees have Tax deduction from the Salary. The mode of tax deduction is the TDS (Tax Deduction at Source). So it is easy to file returns through e-filing based on their Form No 16 issued at the end of the financial year.
E-Filing using Form 16.
Use Browsers like Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer for good performance
Before starting the e-filing, we have to Register in the Portal.
This is the link….
In the portal, there is New user Registration. Before staring the Registration, keep the following with you
1. PAN Card
2. Check book
3. Paper and Pen
4. Valid e mail ID is also necessary. If not, create one.
1. Click on the Register Tab
2. Enter the PAN exactly as shown in the PAN card .
3. Enter a Password as you like. It should have Letters and Alphabets. Note this pass word .
4. Enter the same Password in the confirm password space also.
5. Select the Memory question from the dropdown menu and type the answer. Note. This is necessary for retrieving the forgot password.
6. Then Enter the First name, Middle name( if it is) and Surname in the spaces
7. Then enter the Father’s name as shown in the PAN Card
8. Enter date of birth like this dd/mm/yy. Eg. 10 / 03 / 1960
9. Enter a Valid e mail ID and Phone Number
10. Then type the characters shown in the space and click Register
11. If the entire informations match with the database of the IT department, Registration Successful message will appear and an Activation Code will be send to the email address.
12. If an Error message appears, it indicates a wrong entry possibly in the Name or Surname. If so try again. Remember, the Name, PAN, Date of birth etc should be exactly similar as that in the PAN card.
13. Open email. A Do not reply mail will be there. In the mail, a blue coloured Click will be available. Click on it to activate the registration.
14. Now you are a Registered user in the Portal to file the Returns.
Note: Always remember the PAN number and Password given at the time of Registration to Login again. Write the same in a book.
How to File returns?
1. Open the Portal ……
2. Click Login and enter the PAN and Password. E-Filing page will open
3. Click e-filing A.Y.2012-13 and Click Individual, HUF
4. On the bottom, there are IT Forms. Identify the desired forms ITR 1, ITR 2 etc and click on the Excel utility. In most salaried persons without other income, ITR 1 is the form.
5. When the Excel utility is clicked, the form will down load as a Zip file. It can be seen at the base of screen or in the Downloads folder.
6. Click to open the Excel file. The ITR Form will appear to enter the data.
7. Carefully fill all the data as per the instructions given in the page.
8. Enter Taxable income correctly.
9. Click Calculate Tax button. The tax amount will appear in the Tax payable column.
10. Double check all the entries comparing with the Form 16. If it is OK, then click Validate button to validate the page. The validation occurs only if the Macro setting is enabled. Otherwise the button will not be active. If it happens, Enable Macros once again as described above.
11. If page 1 is validated, then Open TDS page (the TDS tab at the bottom of the spread sheet) and enter all the data. Confirm and validate.
12. Then open Tax paid and Verification page (at the bottom) and enter the details.
13. Enter the Bank account number and MICR code (It is the middle set of numbers in the Check leaf) for refund if any.
14. Validate this page also
XML Generation and Up loading
1. When all the pages are validated (confirm the data once again) the Excel format should be converted to XML for uploading.
2. To create XML, Open the Income details page (at the bottom) and click on the XML Generate button (right top just above Help button).
3. The XML format will be saved on the desk top or in my documents.
Before xml creation, note the path of saving (Desktop or C documents etc) so as to find the file easily. The XML file will be like this
Home page will appear.
2. Select Assessment year Tab in the Submit Return option and select the Assessment year and click. Login page will open.
3. Enter User ID (PAN) and Password (used for Registration) and click login.
4. Upload your Returns page will appear.
5. Select form type saved (ITR1, ITR2 etc). Then click next.
6. Choose file. By clicking this Tab, a window with the XML file saved will open. Click on the saved file. Then click open. The file will be in the upload page.
7. Click upload. The XML file will be uploaded in the portal and a mail will be send to open the uploaded form.
How to Print
Once the uploading is successful, the ITR form in PDF file will be generated for printing.
1. Open the mail and see the second Do not reply mail. Open it and see the click in the mail.
2. Click it. A window will appear to enter Password.
3. This password is different from the password for login. Here the Password is the combination of PAN and date of birth in lower case.
4. Enter both in continuous in lower case. For example, if the PAN is AAAAAA and Date of birth is 10/03/1960, enter like this aaaaa10031960.
5. The PDF file will open. It can be saved and printed.
6. After printing, Sign it and send it to the Address shown at the bottom of the form.
7. After completing the Efiling, Logout. Keep the password, PAN, etc safe for future use.
It is also possible to see the details of the TAX deducted by the Employer, Tax assessment, Tax paid etc by clicking the My Account tab in the Home page. See whether the Tax of the previous months is credited or not. If there is no credit, your return will show a balance tax. If this happens, confirm the tax paid by the Employer and request to update the same.
Video Demo.. Click this Link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWHtrws707M&feature=share