Why Cellphone Explodes? Fact File 9


Rarely, but possible if a damaged battery is over charged.Improper maintenance and unnecessary charging may results in battery damage. The reasons for explosion may be a damaged battery, over charging, overheating, voltage spikes and lightning during charging etc. Mobile phone battery has Lithium Ion chemistry and is long lasting and maintenance free. Proper charging and discharging are necessary to maintain its life. If well maintained, the battery can be in top condition for more than three years. Over charging is the major cause of battery damage. It is better to charge the battery only when its charge indicator drops to 20% charge level. Unplug the charger after 1 hour when the charging process completes. Do not allow overnight charging. Also use a good charger that can give sufficient current for charging. The major cause of the battery explosion is gas accumulation inside the battery since there is no vent to release the gas. This occurs only when the battery deteriorates due to aging. The lithium battery has flat surface but the battery bulges out when the gas accumulates. A simple trick can be used to check this. Place the battery on an even surface and rotate. A good battery will not rotate while a bulged one will rotate. Replace this battery immediately. A word of Caution– don’t use cell phone while charging. Our head is valuable than the Cellphone. Let us see more about the Mobile phone battery.
Continue reading “Why Cellphone Explodes? Fact File 9”

Advertisements

Why Mobile Phone is prohibited in Petrol Outlets? Fact File 8



Answer is simple. Mobile phone can cause an explosion. How this happens? Petrol is  highly inflammable and its gas vapour is present around the outlet in an inflammable form. At the same time,static electricity is also in the atmosphere, and on the surface of objects.

Static electricity in an imbalance in the amount of positive and negative charges within the surface of an object. There is strong e-field around these charges whether the charges are moving or still. Contact induced charge separation’ causes instant static discharges in the form of unnoticed sparks. Static electricity is most often noticed in dry climates. Mobile phone emits very strong radiation which is sufficient to cause sparks due to turbo charging. The same effect is applicable to LPG also. So do not use Mobile phone in Petrol outlets and near LPG cylinder.
Continue reading “Why Mobile Phone is prohibited in Petrol Outlets? Fact File 8”